DLNA stands for “Digital Living Network Alliance “. It is a technology that has become standard for wireless transmission of music, films and images between devices on the same network, for example, between all electronic devices in our house: television, Smartphone, Tablet, consoles, hard drives, DVD, Digital cameras, printer, etc. You can use your smartphone or tablet as a remote control.
DLNA technology allows devices on a home network speak the same language, and therefore be able to connect to each other. Surely you have seen many devices that use this standard usually have printed the DLNA symbol. Sony and Intel created this standard in 2003 to replace UPnP and currently this alliance includes about 250 companies.
Advantages of DLNA
The main advantage is certainly that can transfer information without the need for cables and not necessarily the devices are of the same brand.
To interconnect whole house, what I need?
– Logically to do this, all devices have to be compatible with this technology.
– A home network in which DLNA devices are registered on that network.
– On your PC or Smartphone you must have programs compatible with DLNA such as Windows Media Player or App like Arkuda DMS (iOS) or BubbleUPnP (Android).
In the case of consumer electronics, these applications are already integrated.
How do I know if my devices are compatible with DLNA?
They should have the logo on it and also by accessing the www.dlna.org page, where u can find a list or by searching on that website. Types of DLNA Devices are divided into 3 groups. The same device can play or belong to all 3 groups. For example: a Smartphone can play all 3 functions.
– Servers DLNA: In this, the content will play after been stored. The files stored in the servers are like music, photos videos, etc. They usually have storage space, like network (NAS), the PC, the Smartphone, etc. Any device connected to the DLNA network that has storage capacity can serve as the DLNA server network.
– Player / Renderer: They are devices like TVs or Blu-ray. These will be responsible for the reproduction of the files. They locate the server and quickly play the file.
– Controller: The Smartphone and tablets are also used as remote controls. They locate the server and send the file to the player.
What can you do with DLNA?
Here are some examples:
– If you have a network hard drive (NAS) supports DLNA you can use an app from your Smartphone that lets you select your NAS as a server and your TV as a playback device. The Smartphone will serve as a remote control.
– You can also play music from your Smartphone on your music system.
– Print photos directly from your Smartphone. The common File Formats for images are JPG formats, audio formats LPCM (Linear Pulse Code Modulated Audio) files and MPEG2 for video, but there are devices that are able to recognize other formats such as mp3, tiff or MKV, etc but that depends on the manufacturer, so be enquire before you buy.
How to Set Up a DLNA Network?
It is very simple, in fact practically nothing to do, thanks to the UPnp (Universal Plug & Play) technology that detects them and adds them to the network automatically. We’ll just have to wait for it to detect it and add the device. Of course, if we want our computer to also connect to the DLNA network to interact with other devices, we will have to download the necessary software. The most popular is Tversity and EyeTV for Mac computers. Something similar, but not DLNA, would be through the chromecast.
What is DLNA support?
A modern AV receiver that supports DLNA can stream movies, music, and digital photos from a storage device attached to your home network to your smart TV. All DLNA-certified devices use Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) to discover and talk to each other on the network.
What is a DLNA media renderer?
The DLNA certified digital media renderer is the media player. It is the output device. The renderer can be: a PC with screen and speakers, such as the DLNA media player in Windows 7 (Windows Media Player is usable as DLNA media player software.
What is the meaning of DLNA in mobile phones?
The DLNA standard is used for sharing music, photos and video over an existing home network. For example, by using DLNA you could stream video from your phone to a compatible TV-set using a Wi-Fi network. Related terms:
What format does Sony Bravia Play directly from USB?
It will shows how to play videos, like MKV, AVCHD, AVI, and MOV on Sony Bravia TV through USB port. According to Sony offical site, Sony TVs support to play MPEG, MTS, M2TS, and MP4 formats through USB. So if your videos are in the right format, they should be playable for your Sony TV.